Friday, October 30, 2009

Speechless

If I haven't trusted God's plan for my life in the past I am reminded that he knows exactly what is best for us.  I trust Him oh how I trust Him!!!!

Last night I went to dinner with some great friends and Kari Roe gave me a gift.  She said not to open it until I got home and that it was from everyone at Bush.  I quickly thought that was so sweet but didn't think anything else.  Little did I know I was about to be knocked off my feet.  

Let me jump to the beginning of this story.  I was 23 years old, graduated from Baylor, engaged to James who had a job at Conoco Phillips, and trying to find my first teaching job in Houston.  I had always wanted to work with low income, intercity kids.  I remember being in Waco on the internet applying to so many school districts and individual schools.  I had a few interviews lined up, one with Bush Elementary, but there was this one job fair that was mostly low income schools on the Saturday before the Bush interview.  I remember telling James that if they offer me a job on Saturday I am going to take it and cancel my interviews.  After hours at this job fair and waiting in line after line I turned to a college friend and said, "Thank goodness I have that Barbara Bush interview this week because no one here is even giving us the time of day."  This man behind me said, "Barbara  Bush in west Houston?  Why are you here?  I have tried to get an interview there for years.  It is a wonderful school.  Don't waste your time here."  Well you see for me and my plans Bush was not the perfect school.  It wasn't what I wanted to do.  Isn't amazing how God doesn't always do what we want!  For many people intercity is God's plan for them but God had BIG plans for me at Bush.  I was given a job teaching 3rd grade and the rest is history.  The people at Bush are amazing, the families there are wonderful too.  I can't tell you how many emails and messages I have received from old students' parents.  That school is an extended family to me and their love and compassion is amazing.  I miss the people there tremendously but I do know God has a new plan for me.  I am so thankful for my five years there and the love that has been poured out to me.  

So back to the first part of the story.  I come home from dinner and start opening my cards.  I happen to save the Bush one for last.  Inside the card was message after message from all the wonderful people who work up there.  The notes of encouragement and love made me speechless.  Everyone saying they were praying for James Thomas.  AND THEN TO TOP IT OFF........there was a GENEROUS gift card to a spa for me!  I am tearing up as I write this now.  I can't believe they did this for me!  I am so not worthy yet thankful. 

If any of you from Bush are reading this, I love each of you so much.  I thank God for his plan for my life which included Bush Elementary and trust this new journey will turn out just as well.  I am coming up there next week so be on the look out for one cute, little guy and a grateful mom!   

2 comments:

  1. Oh so sweet - you def deserve to pamper yourself after the last few weeks! Happy b-day!

    ReplyDelete