Thursday, October 22, 2009

Flushing the line take 1

James and I just attempted our first line flush.  There are so many steps when it comes to flushing a line and it isn't easy when your precious baby is screaming through out the whole thing.  To make a long story short, after we put the heparin in the second line we saw blood.  Immediately our hearts dropped and James and I were running around the house like maniacs.  Luckily Nancy was here to pick up James Thomas!  We get a hold of the Hematology Fellow at Texas Children's and he told us we probably didn't clamp it fast enough and we got back flow.  Phew, I just knew we were about to jump in the car and head to the emergency room.  The doctor was so nice and said they would check it tomorrow at clinic.  James and I now have the emergency number programmed in our phones.  Also, a special thank you to Ashley Grimmer.  She got my message and was driving to our house when I finally got a hold of her.  I think we will have her come over Saturday for Flushing the line take 2.  

Our first day home was nice.  We unpacked everything, washed clothes, and tried to relax.  James and I went on a three mile run.  We said we needed to get our red blood cells flowing.  I love my sweet husband.  We have heard about the strain something like this can put on a marriage.  One thing I know for sure is that James and I are in this together, for the long hall, no matter what happens.  Knowing this makes it easier to sleep at night.  Thank you James for loving our family!  Jim also cooked us a great dinner tonight, and it was nice to have a home cooked meal.  

We didn't make it to the pumpkin patch.  It rained so hard last night and we kind of liked the idea of not getting dressed today.  Maybe we will get there this weekend.  I know Melissa and I are going to take the boys next week.  Stay tuned for some matching overall pics!!  I also want to post some going away pictures from the hospital, but we left our camera adapter at the hospital.  James and I will pick it up tomorrow when we go to clinic.  Someone asked me where the clinic is located.  The clinic is actually part of the hospital in the med center.  It is just the outpatient tower.  Each floor is a different specialty.  For example, Luke goes to the dermatology floor and we go to the hematology/oncology floor.  Maybe I can take some pictures so you can see what it looks like.  

Our little angel is sleeping now.  Today he had a great day and that is what matters most.  
Lots of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment