Saturday, December 12, 2009

What are the odds.......?

Please don't use this phrase with me ever again! I am kidding of course but here we are at Texas Children's on the 9th floor again with crazy odds. Let me explain......

James Thomas went in to his pediatrician Thursday for his six month check up and shots. He received all his immunizations, the flu, and H1N1 shot. I was expecting a cranky baby and slight fever so when we got home I gave him a little tylenol. At 1:30 he woke up screaming and had 104.8 fever. I called our pediatrician and he said, "104 is high for shots but what are the odds he would catch a virus or infection the exact same day he got shots!" He told me to give him motrin and if he didn't calm down go to the ER. Well, 45 minutes later he was asleep again so we decided to ride it out until morning. The next morning his fever stayed around 100 with the motrin so I thought it was just a reaction to all the shots. I didn't give him another dose around 4:00 on Friday and by 4:30 he was going crazy. His fever returned and got up to 102.6. I called the hematologist on call this time and she told us to come to the ER. James and I went to the ER last night and they ran some tests and said he probably has bad luck and has a virus too. They sent us home around 1:15 a.m. (Stay with me the story gets better!) At 8:30 this morning Texas Children's called us and told us to return to the ER because we were going to be admitted to fight off a bacteria infection in his pic line! My poor baby got shots, a virus, and an infection in his pic line all in the same day!!!!! They have started him on antibiotics and waiting for his culture to grow. Right now they are exactly sure what kind of bacteria is growing. We are settled in our room and enjoying this adventure! We have learned to be flexible and go with the flow. James and I were supposed to run the White Rock Half Marathon tomorrow with Julie, Elizabeth, and Will. I ordered us "Knock Out Diamond Blackfan Anemia" t-shirts to wear in the race! I am so sad because I have LOVED running with Julie the past two months training for tomorrow. A little shout out to our runners, "GOOD LUCK FRIENDS! We will be praying hard for you tomorrow during your run. We wish we were there to run with you!!!" We will wear our t-shirts in the hospital tomorrow in spirit! I will try and get a picture to post.

That is all for now. I will post more later. We are all in good spirits. Nancy is with us and a great help! We pray for good test results and a quick trip. We want to be home asap!

Lots of love,

2 comments:

  1. I cannot believe that!!!!! Poor baby!!! I will be praying hard for sweet James Thomas ... I hope ya'll are able to go home soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this just makes me cry!!! I hate that you are back in the hospital...sweet, sweet baby! I will be praying that he heals QUICKLY!!!

    ReplyDelete