Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Update

Once again I have gotten behind and have a lot to update.

First let me start with the BMT consult. James, James Thomas, and I all had blood drawn so we could get our HLA report. It took three pokes to get James' blood and it was his first time to see JT's port get accessed so it was quite the ordeal. The nurses were so sweet and really made us feel comfortable about the entire process. Then we met with a BMT doctor and she gave us a lot of information and answered every question we had. I really really liked her. She said that the bone marrow transplant is probably a definite thing for us, we will just have to wait until we have a sibling match and see how James Thomas does. We did have a little disappointing news. The doctor told us some kids can go 6 weeks without getting blood where James Thomas has to get blood pretty much every 2-3 weeks. He did make it 4 weeks once but hasn't done that again. She gave us books to read and said Texas Children's has done several DBA kids which is GREAT! I do feel confident using Texas Children's when and if we have to do this. We are praying praying praying that James Thomas' bone marrow kicks in on it's own and starts producing some red blood cells!

We had a great weekend and a nice visit from Nancy. She came in town Saturday and offered to babysit Monday while I went to the dentist. When I got home from the dentist Monday, James Thomas started running a fever. I called the Cancer Center and they were completely booked for the day so they sent us to the ER. We spent 7.5 hours in the emergency room!!!!! It turned out that James Thomas has a double ear infection. The reason we go to the ER is because of James Thomas' port. When they get a fever the doctors really worry that they could have a bacterial infection through the line. This is what happened to us in December. As much as I hate spending my day in the ER I know it is important to make sure he is o.k. He is doing great now and growing up so fast.

James Thomas can now pull up on his feet. James went in to check on him Sunday morning and he was standing, leaning over the edge of his crib. We had to lower the crib right away. I couldn't believe it was already time to lower his crib! Where has the past few months gone? Before we know it he will be crawling and I will be chasing him around the house.

Below are some pictures from the past week. I went to Bush Elementary on Friday and had a wonderful visit. We went to the park on Saturday and had a blast! All and all we are doing really well. I have been reading too many blogs about other children who are sick and some who aren't going to make it. I have been really down about all these sick kids and can't stop crying when I think about it. Please pray for all the families out there that are losing their babies. I can't imagine and I am in awe of their strength.








3 comments:

  1. Love the new pics! We pray everyday for sweet JT. I truly hope that God heals him and that his bone marrow can start kicking in on its own. :-) Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All day in the ER...I'm so sorry. It was great seeing you Saturday. Hope to get in a visit with the kiddos soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh...poor you, 7.5 hours in the ER, not fun. I'm glad you're liking you bone marrow doc and you had a fun weekend! See you Sat!

    ReplyDelete